DofE Open Sailing Expedition
Come and do your Silver Practice and Qualifying silver DofE Expeditions with Harbour Challenge. Harbour Challenge Outdoor Activity Centre is based at Hamworthy Park in Poole, Dorset offering over 50 years’ worth of industry knowledge.
Participants must be at a RYA Seamanship level to qualify for entry on these Expeditions. **
We run our Practice over three days and two nights and our Qualifying over three days and two nights, with both Expeditions containing a full day's training and familiarization at the beginning.
Pre-training and familiarisation to include:
- Equipment, food and cooking
- Chart skills
- Practical navigation
- Route planning
- Compass work
- Packing barrels and boats.
- Basic first aid
- Camp craft
- Emergency procedures.
Standard Practice & Qualifying Expeditions
During a Practice Expedition groups will receive a mixture or supervised and remotely supervised activities to allow them to put their training into Practice. Whilst during a Qualifying Expedition groups will be remotely supervised to allow them to safely complete their Expedition and for an assessment to take place. Our Expeditions take place in a variety of locations with experienced and friendly Instructors. Our Expeditions are ideal if you don’t have anyone to do it with or can’t make school dates as we will create a private Facebook group beforehand for you to get to know those on your Expedition, and this is where all discussions and planning takes place.
- Cost of campsite fees
- Expedition equipment, including tents, cooking stoves and fuel for stoves
- Sailing dinghies, wetsuits, wind proofs and buoyancy aids
- Rucksacks can be provided if required
- Support and guidance from our office before and after your Expedition
What’s not included:
- All Expedition food (we will provide guidance prior to Expedition on what you will need)
- Transport to and from location (we will give advice on the easiest way to get there including the use of public transport if required.)
- Personal clothing and equipment