Our popular Bronze NNAS Beginner Navigation Course is the perfect introduction to the art of navigation. Over the two days you will gain valuable experience of the skills you need to successfully plan and follow walks of your own choosing in lowland area's. The course is practical and features as much time out on the hills as possible giving you plenty of opportunity to practice and gain advice and encouragement from our experienced Instructors.
By the end of the course you will have a solid grounding in map reading skills and some experience of basic compass techniques.
By making no assumptions about previous experience this course is equally suitable for complete novices and seasoned walkers who are looking for an introduction to formal navigation techniques. The Beginner Navigation Course covers the syllabus and is assessed to the Bronze NNAS.
During the course you will look at:
- Understanding maps - Scales, Rights of Way, Grid References.
- Developing a navigation strategy – Distance, Direction, Check Off and Overshoot.
- Measuring distances - Timing and Pacing.
- Using a compass - Map orientation, taking and walking a bearing.
- Following a bearing in poor visibility.
- Contour recognition - Understanding the shape of the land.
- Route finding skills – Using natural features, hazard avoidance.
- Route planning
Money from every activity you purchase goes directly to helping those less fortunate to try the same activities. You can see where your money makes a difference by checking out our charity page for our latest projects.
Harbour Challenge is easy to find - we are in the centre of Hamworthy Park in Poole. You can leave your car at Hamworthy Park Surface Car Park, take the main path through the park, past the cafe, and we are located near to the water’s edge.
- Useful Info
Experience Level Required
Minimum age 13+.
Silver NNAS Course
12 hours over two days.
Standard hill-walking gear including good waterproofs and walking boots/shoes. A packed lunch and drinks are also necessary.