Now you have the skills necessary to helm or crew a double handed boat and solve a variety of problems whilst afloat.
Passing this course is the natural entry point for the advanced courses in the National Sailing Scheme.
By the end of the course you should be able to:
- Rig, launch and recover in any wind condition
- Set up a boat according to weather conditions using sail and rig controls
- Tie and know the uses of figure of eight, round turn two half hitches, reef knot, bowline, clove hitch, rolling hitch, sheet bend
- Demonstrate sailing techniques and manoeuvres from Stage 3 in a crewed boat
- Communicate effectively as helm and crew
- Effectively use the 5 essentials by helm and crew including use of tell – tales.
- Recover a man overboard
- Demonstrate returning to a beach, jetty or mooring safely in any wind direction
Money from every activity you purchase goes directly to helping those less fortunate to try the same activities. You can see where your money makes a difference by checking out our charity page for our latest projects.
Harbour Challenge is easy to find - we are in the centre of Hamworthy Park in Poole. You can leave your car at Hamworthy Park Surface Car Park and take a short walk to the Centre. Please note that this is now a pay and display carpark between March to October.
Take the main path through the park, walk past the paddling pool and cafe to the cream-coloured building at the end of the park. This is the main Harbour Challenge Centre.
- Useful Info
Experience Level Required
Aged 8 - 14
Up to and including the RYA Stage 2 course
Adult RYA Courses
Two Day Course 09:30-16-30hrs